ENG 300 Journal

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

10/12: Student's Remorse

A few things I really wish I'd known for today's quiz....

Wallace Stevens' poem "The Idea of Order at Key West"; there's something to be said for listening on the first day of class!

Coleridge's definition of the imagination: "a repetition in the finite mind of the eternal act of creation in the infinite I AM." Still not sure I understand that one...

All those darn Greek words: hamartia, amathia, deus ex machina, dianoia, can grande, Deus Insidus, Grosse Anima, Catharsis, anamnesis... yada yada ya.

That so much depends upon a red wheelbarrow... this seems like kind of a cheap shot!

The all-important chart:

Element Period Approach
work modern objective
artist romantic expression (of course I knew this one...)
audience neoclassical pragmatic
world classical mimetic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home